Mr. the King

"Mr. the King" is a quote from CARS. If you didn't know.

Today's quote is the next one that moved me closer to motivation. From page 69:

(context: I love that he threw CARRIE away and his wife fished it out of the trash for him. Just like I love that Tolkein threw away ~120 pages of his first manuscript. Gone forever, too, I think... To be able to toss the crap seems ballsy to me.)

His most valued lesson from that story were, first: "the writer's original perceptions of a character[s]... may be as erroneous as the reader's." And, 2nd: "stopping a piece of work just because it's hard... is a bad idea. Sometimes you have to go on when you don't feel like it, and sometimes you're doing good work when it feels like all you're managing is to shovel shit from a sitting position."

(Note to self: put a link to On Writing and recommend it to others. Ok, Ok, I will. I will.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment